Off The Leash
Pet Therapy Dog Training
Have you always wanted a dog that could provide comfort to others?
Have you completed an obedience course at OTL and have at least one AKC title on your dog such as, STAR Puppy, Canine Good Citizen, Canine Good Citizen Advanced or any of the AKC trick titles? (We can offer AKC evaluation before the class begins.)
If so, this Therapy Dog Work prep class is for you. In this 5 week course you and your dog will prepare for the Pet Therapy evaluation and group certification. We will practice exposing our dogs to items they will see in hospitals, group homes, nursing homes and other medical type settings. We will do a lot of roleplaying in this class to get our dogs used to a variety of people. We will discuss all of the qualifications your dog must have in order to be a pet therapy dog in the active Pet Therapy group. We will not be teaching obedience in this class but rather using the commands and cues you should already have in place. We will work on long distance sit and down stays with a variety of distractions. Your dog will need to wait in a loud environment without being startled easily. We are very excited about being able to offer the therapeutic love only a dog can offer.
Date: Course runs 4 weeks.
Location: Off The Leash; view start dates and times on our class schedule
Instructor: Jenni Coes, CPDT-KA
Prerequisite and Requirements
- Class is open to all dogs 6 months old and older.
- Must have completed AKC title on your dog such as, STAR Puppy, Canine Good Citizen, Canine Good Citizen Advanced or any of the AKC trick titles
- Hold at least one AKC title on your dog.
- Proof of current vaccinations (rabies, distemper, kennel cough) is required to participate
- Dogs are required to wear a simple flat collar and standard 6 foot leash. Front fastening harnesses, such as the Easy-Walk, are permitted in class. Please, no retractable leashes, choke or pinch collars.
A 50% non refundable deposit is required to reserve your spot.
How do I sign up for a group training class?
Sign up for a group training class by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
or by filling out our Owner Registration form at PetExec.
As soon as your information is received, we’ll follow up with next steps!