Off The Leash
AKC Canine Good Citizen (CGC) Group Class
The Canine Good Citizen class is a six week certification program that is designed to reward dogs who have good manners at home and in the community. The Canine Good Citizen Program is a two-part program that stresses responsible pet ownership for owners and basic good manners for dogs. All dogs who pass the 10-step CGC test will receive a certificate from the American Kennel Club.
Visit akc.org for more information on CGC.
Date: Course runs 6 weeks, attendance is mandatory at 6 sessions to qualify for course completion.
Location: Off The Leash; view start dates and times on our class schedule
Cost: $225, testing fee is included in the course cost.
Instructor: Jenni Coes
Course will cover the following in preparation for the CGC certification test:
- Accepting a Friendly Stranger
- Sitting Politely for Petting
- Appearance and Grooming
- Out for a Walk (Walking on a Loose Leash)
- Walking Through a Crowd
- Sit and Down on Command/ Staying in Place
- Coming When Called
- Reaction to Another Dog
- Reaction to Distractions
- Supervised Separation
- The CGC Responsible Dog Owner’s Pledge
Prerequisites and Requirements
Owners should feel confident their dog has the ability to listen and work in a class environment. While not required, completion of a basic obedience course prior to enrollment in the CGC Course is strongly recommended.
- Class is open to all dogs over the age of 9 months.
- This class is appropriate for people/dog friendly dogs only.
- Proof of current vaccinations (rabies, distemper, kennel cough) is required to participate in class.
- Dogs are required to wear a simple flat collar and standard 6 foot leash. Front fastening harnesses, such as the Easy-Walk, are permitted in class but may not be used during the test. Please, no retractable leashes, choke or pinch collars.
A 50% non refundable deposit is required to reserve your spot.
How do I sign up for a group training class?
Sign up for a group training class by emailing email@example.com
or by filling out our Owner Registration form at PetExec.
As soon as your information is received, we’ll follow up with next steps!